Oahu Attraction: Sunset Beach
Guests at our Honolulu Hotel love spending their days relaxing on Sunset Beach, and this Oahu Attraction will be a highlight of your visit.
Sunset Beach is the longest Oahu Beach, and it stretches for 2 miles. Winter brings huge waves, and summer brings calmer waters and the chance for swimming and snorkeling at this beautiful Oahu Attraction.
Location: Pupukea, Hawaii
Distance from Ambassador Hotel Waikiki Beach: 40 Miles
Spending time at the beach is a top Honolulu thing to do, and Sunset Beach is one of the most well-known Oahu Beaches. Guests at Ambassador Hotel – A Honolulu Hotel enjoy taking a ride to the North Shore to visit this beautiful, scenic beach.
During the winter months, the swelling waves draw some of the world’s best surfers. This is not the beach for novice surfers, especially during the winter. While the summer brings calmer seas, the coral formations still make this a tricky spot for inexperienced surfers.
Just as many people come to watch the surfers as come to surf. Guests at Waikiki Hotels find it quite exciting to watch experienced surfers ride huge waves during the competitions that take place at this Oahu Beach during December and January.
If you visit during the summer, when the waves are smaller, you may be able to enjoy swimming or snorkeling. The water at Sunset Beach is quite clear during the summer, and that’s why it is a favorite place for snorkeling.
Facts about Sunset Beach:
- Sunset Beach includes two miles of gorgeous white sand shoreline.
- Sunset Beach is one of three hosts to Vans Triple Crown of Surfing, an event that attracts some of the best surfers in the world. The other two are Waimea Bay and the Banzai Pipeline.
Tips for visiting Sunset Beach:
- Arrive early to claim your spot! Stop for breakfast at a favorite North Shore spot such as Ted’s Bakery or the Sunrise Shack.
- Plan to say for the sunset, which is one of the most beautiful you’ll ever see.
- This is not the place for inexperienced surfers, but it is the perfect spot to watch skilled surfers do their thing.
- If you visit during the summer, the waters may be calm enough for swimming. Just be sure to stay between the flags set up by the lifeguards. It’s also a good idea to only swim during the times that lifeguards are on duty.
- Parking is available directly across from Sunset Beach. Street parking is available, but it’s not recommended, especially since plenty of spots are available in the lot.
- Sunset Beach Support Park, located across the street, has showers and restrooms available to the public.
View the other sections of our Oahu Visitors Guide for more ideas about how to spend your time during your stay at our Honolulu Hotel!
When you are ready to book your next visit to Oahu, see our latest Special Offers for our Guaranteed Best Rates!
See our Oahu Travel Blog for interesting articles about all there is to do, see and experience during your visit to Oahu.