Oahu Attraction: Hanauma Bay
Are you looking for popular Oahu Attractions? Spend a day enjoying the beauty of Hanauma Bay.
Some of the best Honolulu Things to Do allow visitors to explore the natural beauty of Oahu. The Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve is a perfect example of that type of Oahu Attraction.
Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve
Location: 7455 Kalanianaole Hwy, Honolulu, Hawaii
Distance from Ambassador Hotel Waikiki Beach: 10.6 Miles
Of the many Oahu Attractions, those that focus on the gorgeous water and marine life in Oahu are some of the most popular. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve is a beautiful example of that, and it offers a beautiful setting for snorkeling.
This Oahu Attraction has been a work in progress for many years. The area was once in rough shape, but a revitalization plan has brought about impressive results. Today, guests who come to enjoy this Honolulu Thing to Do will find gorgeous live coral, clear water, 250 species of fish and green sea turtles.
Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve is a perfect place for snorkeling – even for those who have never done it before. The water is calm, and the setting isn’t at all intimidating. Equipment such as masks, fins and snorkels are available for rent at this Oahu Attraction.
Monday, Wednesday through Sunday: 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. in Summer
Monday, Wednesday through Sunday: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Winter
$7.50 per person, children under 12 admitted free
$1.00 per vehicle fee for parking
Facts about Hanauma Bay:
- When you swim in Hanauma Bay, you’ll be swimming in a volcanic crater.
- There are sharks in Hanauma Bay, but they are reef sharks that average only about 4-feet long.
- There has never been a shark attack in Hanauma Bay.
- Green turtles are found in abundance in Hanauma Bay, and their nesting grounds are found at French Frigate Shoals.
Tips for visiting Hanauma Bay:
- The best time to go is between 6:00am and 7:00am. The crowds haven’t arrived yet, so you’ll get a parking spot.
- The early morning is also when you have the best chance to see abundant fish.
- If you plan on taking the Waikiki Shuttle, reservations are required. No reservation is needed if you’re driving to Hanauma Bay.
- You are not allowed to stand on the coral, so water shoes are not needed.
View the other sections of our Oahu Visitors Guide for more ideas about how to spend your time during your stay at our Honolulu Hotel!
When you are ready to book your next visit to Oahu, see your latest Special Offers for our Guaranteed Best Rates!
See our Oahu Travel Blog for interesting articles about all there is to do, see and experience during your visit to Oahu.